I work to deliver solutions, often including automated monitoring and maintenance to lower long term costs, guided by expertise gained over 20 years filled with a wide variety of implementations and situations in the IT industry. I have administrated solutions from a single server to enterprise class, and they all have different needs to which I adapt and deploy. If you feel you have a problem or project for which I can provide a solution, please reach out for an estimate or advice.
Principal Systems Engineer
Manage all servers and networking devices, including monitoring, automation, deployment, virtualization, distribution, statistics, and growth modeling. Mentor other technical staff to increase skills and efficiency, review their work to provide consistent output. Lead and participate in project planning. Develop hardware specifications for all software purposes. Perform Root Cause Analyses of issues, and advise senior management on technical matters. Manage planned and reduce unplanned downtime. Perform routine maintenance and emergency resolution. Write and/or review maintenance instruction and system documentation, for a variety of levels of technical knowledge. Act as subject matter expert for a variety of topics. Work with all other teams to ensure system resiliency and effectiveness.
- Designed and deployed an automated distributed firewall solution to enable network responsiveness at a scale necessary to maintain realtime observation network and high volume database solutions.
- Designed and lead deployment of multisite secured mail environment, combining open source and proprietary software to provide necessary business email functionality without sacrificing email security.
- Deployed multisite virtualization system to improve uptime and reliability with reduced cost structure.
Linux Operations Administrator
Handle top level escalations from support for single and multiple tenant enterprise level issues. Prioritize incoming problems, and depending on analysis delegate or resolve the issues in a timely manner. Provide training and documentation to other support teams to improve response times and outcomes
- Lead support efforts during beta and original deployment of OpenStack infrastructure.
- Designed support and operational tools for front line and operations technicians managing a vast array of servers
Maintained, increased capacity, increased reliability expanded reach of the wireless internet provider, to provide superior internet service to rural areas. Included configuration and maintenance of all network equipment, servers, and softwares, including field work.
Provided IT solutions for a wide variety of Small and Medium Businesses. Deployed servers, configured networks, and maintained systems from desktop through servers. Worked on Windows and Linux, Exchange, SQL, IIS, apache, and other software.
Started with pulling cable and refurbishing desktops for resale and worked my way to learning about server infrastructure. Worked on a contract basis until late 2006, when I came to work full time and continued until the close of business in November 2007, upon the death of the owner. Duties near the end included infrastructure management for several small businesses, including the setup and deployment of terminal servers, Active Directory, and securing network and server infrastructure.
- 2015 - Hardening Encrypted Communications Against Diffie-Hellman Precomputation Attacks: https://www.farsightsecurity.com/txt-record/2015/12/02/thall-hardening-dh-and-ecc/
- 2015 - Distributed Firewall System: https://www.farsightsecurity.com/txt-record/2015/05/14/thall-distributed-fw-1/